Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Just Me being Me

I promise sometimes my food really seems to have a face looking at me.. compelling me, sometimes even whispering (screaming) my name (anyone else been there before?) ... which of course I do a double take sometimes a triple take.... and then of course I then place that food (in my mind) on a scale (think.... of my hands out as and imaginary balance and me saying should I???? Shouldn't I???? ) then trying to convince my mind that it is NOT as good as it is claiming itself to be, and seriously cannot be as good as it looks (after all food seldom tastes as good as it looks, right?!)
Why, Oh Why would we live in such food-centric Era where we use food as entertainment purposes and NOT for the purposes it was intended by God... We learn at an early age that Popcorn is for movies, that candy is fun to eat (Hey I grew up watching the Original Willy Wonka and singing along with the Candy Man Can.... and wishing my mother would let me put up "lick able" wallpaper!) I really believe we learn to enjoy food at a young age! Then by the time we are a little older we start to feel the affects and if we are not careful it becomes a vicious cycle of dieting!
Well I have to say I absolutely LOVE it when someone (skinny) knows all about what I should do when they have never walked in my shoes! Kudos to all my friends and family who have had to eat better, go on a diet, or change their way of eating to better their life... and stuck with it until you saw results (not meaning that you did not falter or fall a little here and there) You are an inspiration to me and everyone around you!
I have learned in all of the fad diets I have tried in the past that.... What works for one... doesn't always necessarily work for everyone... Every body is different! You are unique... and your diet may be as unique as you! I have always tried the Low carb approach, BUT I am one of those that have to have structure! I used Herbalife for awhile and it worked great when I did it. I lost 80lbs in 2000, then over the years I just thought to myself well I will eat this, and I can eat that and I will be okay... Yeah I got a little carried away with that! I have had some success with Phentermine (doctor monitored) then it started affecting my BP (blood pressure). Two BP meds...  and aLOT of prayers later... (Due to some severe back problems) I was told I would have to have Back Surgery (if I did not take some weight off) I considered Lap Band, that fell through... then two years later I signed back up for WLS this time I was looking at the Gastric Sleeve. Everything looked great and its was going to be a go... then God closed the door again. ( I say God closed the door, because we had been praying and seeking God about this and asking him to do that if it was not His will for my body, for only He knows if my body could have handled it) In the mean time not sure what to do and at a total loss I began to seek and pray that God would show me what I could do... and I came across Medifast. I was very sceptical at first because it was yet... another diet... BUT I felt a gentle nudge and an (what I felt like) an answer in my mind and heart.  The scripture came to me ~ Is 58:6 Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? If you are reading this and think I'm crazy... well let me assure you... You are not alone! BUT hey... when I feel God come into a situation that I have been praying about... I get EXCITED! and truth be told... You would too... so go ahead and keep reading!  ~ Anyway, I also found out through further reading that Medifast is not only a low calorie and low carb controlled program BUT that alot of WLS patients go on it before and after their surgery because it meets the requirements... So here I am looking at the very thing I needed without having the surgery.... Fast Forward I made an order to try it and that very first week I started it.. I lost 16 lbs and for the total first month I had lost 28 lbs! Now of course this was last May 2011 when I did this, and at this point right now...I wish I had stayed as strict as I did that first month! (me kicking myself) BUT here I am NOW and I am following the program and staying On Plan. I am excited to what is going on.. I'm excited because I know this works and it works for me!! (If you would like to know more about it.. leave me a comment, I have two great ppl that are health coaches) I also started Zumba2 for the wii last night... I have to go Alot slower than normal! So I do this at home.  (I went to Tammy's class for awhile ... and while I so love it and being around ppl, had to stop... I hope to be able to really get more involved back in class as my back continues to relieve)

So there you go... I'm just a food lover... that yes... while food still talks ie.screams at me sometimes.. I use the Wizard of Oz approach... see picture -----> (Kidding... I need to use this approach though)  I am changing my perspective and my foods are much nicer and all the seemingly good things now do not bother me as much! .. Don't get me wrong... they still do bother me... but Not as much... because I do not keep my mind on them 24/7. I also try not to put myself in a place where I will be offered anything I cannot eat. (just until I feel a little stronger, or I will eat without thinking about it)
 If I am wanting something sweet, I have to be careful not to get in a hurry and make something OP... I definitely do not go to the store... nor do I go into the kitchen... or I become that Crazy culinary artist or Awesome Pastry Chef! I do have some awesome OP recipes.. so I try to stick with that!

This year I am challenging myself  to stay OP (on plan)  and loose this weight through this wonderful program. I cannot promise it will be easy.. BUT it will be worth it!
Chris and I are claiming 112 lbs in 2012! :-)
I started Medifast in May 2011 with my weight at 275lbs. 
(as of yesterday when I weighed) My weight is 262
I gained my weight back through the months I was not on my diet and I am on the right track to see the weight melt off and stay off for Good this time!

Through Jesus' help and the help of my friends and family I will see this accomplished!

~ Shani

2 comments:

  1. Go Shani I am proud of you!!I may be checking into this after I have this baby!!No joke having a baby at 40 is packin on the pounds!!I lost 30 lbs on WW 2 years ago but some of it had found its way back.ALot of people make remarks to me about o your so little and this and that ( well not lately lol)The only way I have managed to stay as small as i have thru the years is by constantly being aware of what I eat.Not to say I haven't fudged many many times and it is not fun!!I also had my bout with high blood pressure a few years ago and that made me even more concious of what I ate.I am planning to get in gear but AFTER the baby.LOL Hopefully I will regain my will power then!!Cause for now EVERYTHING taste soooo good.My taste buds dance a the very thot of food!!Love ya girl and I know you can do this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kim! Im glad we have friends that are there and positive around us! It means alot! :-) ... and yes after you have your precious baby and if you want info on Medifast I can get with you and get you in touch with a great ( free) health coach! :-)
    Shani

    ReplyDelete